Wednesday, September 10, 2008

This one is for you Don
















One of the best days of the summer for me was at Toshimaen in June when all the "cousins" got together. The biggest treat of course was seeing the Womacks there. I laugh thinking how we all gave Tony such a hard time when he kept saying, "I think Reid is here. I saw him on the roller coaster with his dad." Tony is so sweet for imagining ALL our friends could be together. But then there they were!!

What I love about that day was that there were no kids left out. Tony wouldn't go on most of the rides but he always had other kids to hang out with. The kids broke off in every pairing possible. That's what I love about the Askew kids. They are so open to being friends with others.

But the star of that day was Don, THE BEST amusement park dad! He's the pied piper who leads all the little ones on rides that make most other grown-ups throw up. The Giant Swing? He and Reina went on it twice. I had to go on the Magic ride when Reina and almost wept, to pay money for morning sickness?? She reminisced, "Last time, I sat with Max's dad and Reid and Rio sat over there. We had a lot of fun THAT time." (Yes, Anna another classic Reina line.) Don, your presence was sorely missed. Unfortunately I have no photos of the day, so I made sure my brought my camera the next time at Toshimaen.

Toshimaen in August was great because of the pool. The kids and I did a double shift of fun. We hung out in the early afternoon with Koky's adorable kids and their friends. Then when they had to leave, the Simpsons showed up. Grandma Priscilla is what Lena will grow old and be like. The resemblance is striking. She's also very pleasant, adventurous and fun-loving. Callum was in his sweet big brother mode and played extensively with Reina on his inflatable alligator. (Yes, he doesn't look that happy in the photo, but you all know Callum) She lost her first tooth when she left on the concrete steps but quickly recovered. But I'm afraid I was the biggest hit of the day with my starfish impression.

There is one waterslide, not the tube type, it is open and goes practically straight down. Anyways, the line-up for it was the shortest and since Paul and Callum were gamed, why shouldn't I? They went first. I got scared. But clever little me figured out that if I spread my arms and legs wide enough to touch the edges of the slide, it would slow me down!! Smart, smart. But then I realize that they slow the slide by having this one long horizontal patch in the middle of the run. I was going so slow that I didn't have enough momentum to get me through it. So I get stuck. Now I'm not the first person to have gotten stuck in waterslides but most of these occurances are within the private confines of an enclosed tube. Here, everyone can see everything and know I got stuck by doing the star fish!!! Of course, I don't realize how visible it is until I see Grandma Simpson tearing in laughter. "It's because you had, you had your arms..." It so too much for her. Paul was so cracking up so badly, he was heaving air. Didn't even have it together to rib me (until later). So Callum did it for him.

It was a truly splendid, hilarious day but line-ups in August for everything was ridiculously long which made the June trip a notch superior. For me, August was worth cherishing because it would be the last time we would be able to spend the day there and get home 10 mins. later. But
there's plenty of fun places to make memories!

1 comment:

Arsenette said...

..... I've never seen anyone get stuck for starfishing.. oh.. I wish someone had a camera.. LOL Thanks for posting this :)