Saturday, August 2, 2008

Beach and the Play









ビーチで遊ぶレイナとリオ。カナダの海はやっぱり寒い。。。


リオの演劇舞台。役はフック船長とおしゃべりのタイム・マシーン。

The weather this week was pretty crappy compared to the past two. Rained a few days, cloudy most of the time. Went down to Kitsilano Beach. My kids agree Canadian pools are more fun (less annoying rules) but Japanese beaches are much better, especially those in Okinawa. Still we had fun hanging out and eating at a beachside restaurant.

Reina and Juri really enjoyed their Mommy camps. Keiko taught them tennis for an hour and I did reading and writing the next. Juri said it was the best camp this summer! What a sweetheart. They just had so much fun together, without the older siblings.

Rio did a theatre camp and enjoyed that. It's really important for him to hang out with boys his own age. He got to be the talking time machine, a role he really wanted and got to do swordfight as Captain Hook for the other play. He got a prize for "Best Efforts in Acting." All the kids got some "effort" award but some were pretty lame like "Best Efforts at: Being Helpful, Listening Quietly, etc." We ran into the teacher in the hall and she was so complimentary. I felt so proud considering that Rio has annoyed so many other teachers in the past.

Their other highlight of the week was sleeping over at Pika and Juri's homestay. The kids all zonked out in the afternoon the next day. Was going to take my mom to see Mamamia but was too tired. Went to Ava Lucia's grave. Des and I hugged and cried. I try my best but I am still trying to deal with the cruelty and unfairness of it all.

No comments: